6 Signs It's Time To Replace Your Water Softener
Your water softener works hard every day, removing the minerals like calcium and magnesium from your home water supply. Just like any home appliance, a water softener will not last forever. Once your water softener passes its prime, it loses some efficiency and effectiveness. Eventually, certain components can wear out entirely.
While regular repairs and maintenance can keep your water softener going longer, most systems have a lifespan of 10 to 15 years when properly maintained. If your water softener was installed more than a decade ago, it might be time for an update.
Having a big family that requires more showers, loads of laundry, and dishes to be washed will also play a factor in the life of your water softener. How long your water softener lasts can depend on your water quality, too. If your water is very hard or has high iron content, your system may need to be replaced sooner. It’s like putting a lot of miles on a new car versus keeping it in the garage – how often your system is used will make a difference!
While there is no set timeframe to replace a water softener, it’s helpful to know the signs that your water softener is starting to fail.
Signs Your Water Softener Isn’t Working
If your water softener is aging, you may notice your water isn’t as soft as it used to be. Or maybe your unit needs more salt to operate than usual. These could be signs your water softener needs to be serviced or replaced. What to watch for:
- No soapy lather - If you’re used to washing up in soft water, you’re accustomed to a nice, sudsy lather. So when a water softener starts to fail, you might notice your soap isn’t lathering like it used to. Instead of bubbles, you may be getting murky, filmy water. You may start going through soap and shampoo faster than normal because you’re using more product to get a decent lather. Or you might even feel like there’s a thin film on your skin when you get out of the shower.
- Buildup on your faucets - The minerals in hard water can create a chalky build up on the faucets in your kitchen and bathroom. Pay attention as you’re cleaning. If you start to notice white crust on your faucets, your water softener may need attention.
- Hard water spots - Are you starting to see hard water spots on your dishes? Are there noticeable spots on your shower door, after the water dries? These are some tell-tale marks of hard water.
- Your clothes feel crunchy - If you have sensitive skin, you may start to notice that your clothes and towels are feeling more stiff and scratchy than normal. That’s a sign that mineral deposits are building up on your clothes. High mineral content in your water can prevent laundry detergent from working like it should, causing a gradual accumulation of residue (and odor!) on your clothes.
- Changes in water pressure - One of the big advantages of a water softener is that it prevents costly mineral buildup inside your plumbing and appliances. So if you notice a gradual change in your water pressure, it could be a sign your water softener has been on the outs for a while! As mineral deposits accumulate, the water flow through your faucets or shower can slow down. To protect your appliances, it’s important to monitor your water softener and make sure it’s working properly.
Maintenance Fixes For Your Water Softener
But just because your water softener isn’t working properly, that doesn’t necessarily mean it needs to be replaced. It could be your system just needs a little extra service.
Sometimes a simple fix or maintenance visit is all that’s required. If you’re not sure what the problem is, contact one of our water treatment specialists to diagnose the situation. We can address common service tasks like these:
- Replace a worn component
- Replace the filtering media
- Add salt to the brine tank
- Clean or unstick a valve
- Evaluate the computer settings to match your daily habits
Benefits Of Updating Your Water Softener
If your water softener isn’t working properly, you’ve probably been dealing with any number of hard water problems, like those listed above. Replacing an old softener can make you more comfortable and protect your other appliances.
And, like any technology, water softeners keep evolving and improving over time. Today’s systems come with updated and advanced features that help keep your system running at its best.
Features and benefits with the latest water softener technology:
- More energy efficient
- Use less water
- Salt monitors – alert you when you need to add fresh salt
- Chlorine generators – keep your system clean
- Wi-fi enabled “smart” systems – get alerts sent right to your phone, monitor water usage, turn on vacation mode remotely
Replace your water softener and improve your water quality If you’re concerned about the quality of your water, we can help. Reach out to our water improvement specialists to book your complimentary consultation today! Our trained WaterCare specialists can make sure your system is running the way it should be. If it’s time for an upgrade, we can give you reliable advice and recommend the right solutions for your home water.